Thursday, February 24, 2011

Why I Use Protein Powder

I use protein powder for several reasons. The main reason is because it's a convenient source of protein. We know that protein is essential for repairing muscles after a workout, but it's a hassle trying to whip up a protein-rich meal all the time. It takes about 30 seconds to mix some protein powder with water and drink it, whereas making a meal may take 30 minutes. I also like using protein powder right after a workout because it's a fast-digesting concentrated source of protein. 


Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Double Rich Chocolate, 5 PoundThere are two types of protein I like to use. The main one I use is whey protein.  There are several reasons I like whey protein. For one thing, it seems to be less expensive than other types of protein. But the main reason is because it's the best kind to use when you exercise. I like to have one scoop before each workout and two scoops after the workout. I used to use soy protein, but I heard about the possibility of soy causing an increase in estrogen levels. I don't know if that's true or not, but I decided it wasn't worth the risk. Plus soy protein tastes terrible and whey protein tastes pretty good. My favorite is the Delicious Strawberry flavor of the Gold Standard brand.
Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard, Delicious Strawberry, 2 Pound


Optimum Nutrition 100% Casein Protein, Chocolate Supreme 2 Pound
As I mentioned earlier, there are two types of protein I use. The other type of protein I mentioned is called casein protein. Casein protein is the slowest digesting type of protein, so it's the best kind to use right before bed. Most of your muscle growth occurs while you sleep, so it's good to have protein in your system while you're sleeping. Since casein protein is slow digesting, it stays in your body longer throughout the night. I only use one scoop of this protein per day, so I don't go through it as fast as I do the whey protein. I prefer the Gold Standard brand of casein protein as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment