Saturday, February 26, 2011

Workout Routine for a Busy Schedule

lancing family, career, and bodybuilding can be very challenging. I've come up with a system that works for me, so I thought I'd share it. My focus right now is building muscle, so I am not doing a lot of cardio at the moment. In March I will be changing my priority to trimming fat, so I will be doing more cardio soon. But here is what I've been doing for the past six months or so.  


I workout three times a week. Two of those workouts are at home and one is at the gym. I let my gym membership expire this year in an effort to save money. I've found it's cheaper to pay for a day pass if I'm only going once per week. Each workout focuses on different muscle groups for the most part. Since I only go to the gym once per week I use it as an opportunity to mix up my workout routine so that I keep my muscles guessing. 

First Workout: Chest & Triceps:
Warm up
Flat Bench Press
Dips
Incline Flies or Flies Machine (gym only)
Incline Bench Press
Tricep Overhead Extensions or Tricep Cable Pulldown (gym only)
Close Grip Bench Press

Second Workout: Biceps, Abs, Back, & Forearms
Warm Up
Preacher Curls
Sit-Ups or Abdominal Crunch Machine (gym only)
Wrist Curl & Reverse Wrist Curl
Deadlifts or Back Machine (gym only)
Pull-Ups (gym only)
Standing Curls (with back against wall)

Third Workout: Legs, Shoulders, Traps
Warm Up
Light Squats or Heavy Squats (gym only)
Overhead Press or Overhead Press Machine (gym only)
Incline Front Shoulder Raise
Seated Leg Extensions
Side Lateral Raise
Barbell Shrugs

These workouts are not set in stone. I try to keep things mixed up from one week to the next. I'm always throwing in various other things and rotating which workout I do at the gym. I also rotate between higher weight and higher reps. I think I've been making successful gains doing this. I've added 50 pounds to my bench press in the past six months. My goal is not to compete in a bodybuilding competition. But for someone with a family and a busy work schedule, I think I'm doing pretty well with this routine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment